Silky wool for Eliz I
Hi all
Both Carrie and KnitinBrit Kim have talked about using E Lavold Silky Wool for Elizabeth I.
I'm wondering, have either of you swatched it?
Is the yarn light enough? The gauge on the ball band says 22 st 30 Row on size 6 needles. Of course Eliz is knit on size 3s and calls for 27 st. I'm interested if the Silky wool will be soft enough when knit down to that gauge, or if it will be tight and boardy.
Carrie, you mentioned not having enough yarn. What color are you using and how much short will you be? Shall we go on a yarn hunt to find more for you? I wouldn't even think about starting it without having all the yarn in possession at teh time of casting on.
You can mix another dye lot in by knitting every two rows from a different ball. If the dye lots are close you'll never see the difference.
Both Carrie and KnitinBrit Kim have talked about using E Lavold Silky Wool for Elizabeth I.
I'm wondering, have either of you swatched it?
Is the yarn light enough? The gauge on the ball band says 22 st 30 Row on size 6 needles. Of course Eliz is knit on size 3s and calls for 27 st. I'm interested if the Silky wool will be soft enough when knit down to that gauge, or if it will be tight and boardy.
Carrie, you mentioned not having enough yarn. What color are you using and how much short will you be? Shall we go on a yarn hunt to find more for you? I wouldn't even think about starting it without having all the yarn in possession at teh time of casting on.
You can mix another dye lot in by knitting every two rows from a different ball. If the dye lots are close you'll never see the difference.

9 Comments:
It ate my comment! the nerve.
The twinset is being knit from E Lavold's Silky Wool and Silky Tweed and I think it could be tightened up easily, not that I've actually tried yet. The Hempathy yarn is the same gauge - 22 sts, so I was going to go find a ball of it and a couple of others tonight (and this weekend) and check them out.
Oh, I will definitely not start Eliz 1 w/o enough yarn. I was thinking of the twinset jacket, but only because it's there.
What about Millifili Fine? I don't particularly want a cotton yarn.
Ignore me since I might not know what I'm talking about BUT isn't Dunedin actually a Sport weight yarn? 1542/1600 ypp?
But She treats it like it's a lighter weight and uses a smaller needle and so get more stitches/inch?
from an old Yarn Barn notice:
Alice Starmore Yarns
The new book for September delivery is called "Tudor Roses". It will be
available in a limited edition hard cover copy for $32.95 and a soft cover
version for $23.95. I am accepting orders for both now, however if you want a
hardcover copy don't wait too long to order.
A new yarn will be introduced in this book. Dunedin is a superfine luxury wool,
spun from New Zealand top. 50 gm hanks and 170 yds. This sport weight yarn
will knit 6-7 sts per inch. It will be introduced in 5 colors--ecru, black, dark
green, mulberry, camel. $7.25/ hank. I have it in stock now.
Color cards of all Starmore yarns are available for $20 per set.
Pat Kirtland, Owner
The Yarn Barn
Route 3
Box 8945
Dillwyn, VA 23936
Copyright © 1997-8 The Yarn Barn.
The Yarn Barn Page 3 of 3
file://D:\web\yarnbarn\index.htm 4/4/2006
So that would be a "yes, marina, you know what you're talking about"? Because,yes, it looks like it. I wonder if the original Eliz Dunedin yarn knit up like cardboard.
$32.95?? Argh. I bought my on EBay for an obscene sum of money.
Well, hoo. I'm going to pick a nice yarn and knit it tightly. What are you using, Marina? Did you decide on a project yet?
I think you're right about Elizabeth knitting up like carboard or bulletproof!
Most likely, Henry VIII in J&S unless the family catches the hint to get it for me from VY ;-)
VBG ;) So Marina, does your family need an email?
In my experience Silky Wool is both light and very soft. You could easily knit it with a four but threes may be a bit too tight. Dare I suggest the dreaded swatching?
I'd say to buy a skein and swatch, to see if you like the fabric at that gauge. Also, make sure to wash the swatch, as the feel of the fabric could really soften up, depending on the yarn.
I knit Elizabeth I in Brown Sheep Naturespun Sport last year. I've never knit with Silky Wool, but I've fondled it at the LYS, and I'm pretty sure it's a bit thicker than the Naturespun. With the Naturespun, I found the fabric was a bit stiff, but really relaxed a great deal after washing. The stitch definition is also great. It's probably not as soft as Silky Wool, but it's one of my favorite basic yarns.
The Silky Tweed is fairly loose at 22 sts (which is what I want for the twinset I'm going to knit) and it softened up nicely in the wash. I think it could easily be knit at a tighter gauge and still be wearable, but I'll swatch it tonight along with the other two yarns I picked up to try out. And now I need to pick up some Naturespun just to see.
Post a Comment
<< Home