Hey, Sam here again.
I hope you all had a good thanksgiving!
I started my Henry VIII a week ago, and have thus far knit the ribbing, the pattern band at the bottom, and the first 12 rows of the pattern. Here's what I have to say for myself:
To be truthful, I'm not sure that I like the pattern. It's driving me kind of batty. I tend to prefer patterns that are easy to remember and rhythmic. Vertical pattern bands, generally don't annoy me, it's just a more complex rhythm, but these patterns are big enough that my brain has a hard time managing it.
Thankfully all of the patterns in this are mirrored top to bottom, I just have to slave through constant refrences to the chart untill row 33, after that, I'm scott free. I just have to pull myself that far, and hell, I'm almost half there.
I don't really have pictures of any of my recent work, I am not in present ownership of a camera I fear, or progress pictures for this sweater. It looks nifty.
The color (dark brown and golden brown) are different than I'm used to, but I think I like it. I like the change if nothing else. While my color choices are mostly asthetic, I did also choose a silk/wool blend from knit picks. I must say that the yarn is divine. There are merits to using shetland for projects like this, particularly given the long floats between color blocks, but other than that, the yarn is really really nice.
There isn't much else to say at this point, other than I guess a general question about if/how other people do with memorization of charts. Can you memorize them? Does your memory work better for some kinds of charts rather than others? Does this affect your enjoyment of said charts?
Cheers,
Sam
I hope you all had a good thanksgiving!
I started my Henry VIII a week ago, and have thus far knit the ribbing, the pattern band at the bottom, and the first 12 rows of the pattern. Here's what I have to say for myself:
To be truthful, I'm not sure that I like the pattern. It's driving me kind of batty. I tend to prefer patterns that are easy to remember and rhythmic. Vertical pattern bands, generally don't annoy me, it's just a more complex rhythm, but these patterns are big enough that my brain has a hard time managing it.
Thankfully all of the patterns in this are mirrored top to bottom, I just have to slave through constant refrences to the chart untill row 33, after that, I'm scott free. I just have to pull myself that far, and hell, I'm almost half there.
I don't really have pictures of any of my recent work, I am not in present ownership of a camera I fear, or progress pictures for this sweater. It looks nifty.
The color (dark brown and golden brown) are different than I'm used to, but I think I like it. I like the change if nothing else. While my color choices are mostly asthetic, I did also choose a silk/wool blend from knit picks. I must say that the yarn is divine. There are merits to using shetland for projects like this, particularly given the long floats between color blocks, but other than that, the yarn is really really nice.
There isn't much else to say at this point, other than I guess a general question about if/how other people do with memorization of charts. Can you memorize them? Does your memory work better for some kinds of charts rather than others? Does this affect your enjoyment of said charts?
Cheers,
Sam

3 Comments:
I'm not going to have heartening news, Sam. Personally I've been counting the Mary Tudor pattern in its 42 stitch repeats. Each repeat. As in one, two, three, four, five.....etc, etc. By the 5th or 6th repeat it's pretty much burnt into my brain, but not enough to skip using the chart.
There is no way I could knit it by the picture - I wish my brain was that artistic!
I can memorize geometric charts fairly well. Once I get the set up, er, set up, I'm pretty much set.
Mary Tudor? Blown up charts, magnifying ruler (clothespinned to the book), alternating colors of highlighter when I'm done with a row.....
I don't mind it, but it's slow and it's definitely not a social project.
I'm too old to learn a new trick especially if I'm only going to perform it once! I can't even remember what symbol equals what colour when there are usually 10 or more of them.
I write out the chart, line by line using one color for background and another for the pattern, making a note of every color change.
For Henry, after writing out all 4 charts, I combined them into one. I think I managed to get two lines on one page and ended up with a document which had 30+ pages!
so I'm on row 17 now, and this is basically .25 of the way through one pattern repeat, and half way to the magical .5 where everything repeats, just in reverse, and I'm starting to feel better.
My last couple of sweaters, for various reasons, have had patterns that I've had memorized by half way though the second round, which I'm starting to think is a fluke.
Another couple of days and I'm thinking I'll have it. Maybe. I have a copy of the pattern in a sleeve, so it's not a big deal to carry it around with me.
Cheers,
sam
Post a Comment
<< Home