Tell Me I'm Reading this Wrong
Tell me that Alice Starmore did not design Mary Tudor - complete with steeks - knit in the round - well, knit in the round on the rows that aren't PURLED. Isn't that the point of circular knitting? No purling rows? I'm supposed to purl in the round with multiple colors? Garter stitch? Kill. Me. Now.
** Edited to Add the next day: Oh. On further reflection, reading the text a wee bit more closely, not to mention searching the net for errata, it turns out that the border patterns, aka the hem aka Charts A and C are knit in garter stitch. In the round. Ten rows and 16 rows respectively. Gah. Is there any reason why these can't be knit flat and then joined once the real knitting in the round commences?
Thank you, Marina. Not a lie, but you could have told me it was just a few rows! I thought the whole - in the immortal spelling of Olde English - damme thing was going to be garter stitch! Thank goodness for Knit Knot's picture of her Mary Tudor. [fans self] Oh, my nerves.
I'd show you a picture of the four measly rows I managed to knit yesterday - all day yesterday - but I left my camera behind.
So. Guess what I started knitting? ;)
** Edited to Add the next day: Oh. On further reflection, reading the text a wee bit more closely, not to mention searching the net for errata, it turns out that the border patterns, aka the hem aka Charts A and C are knit in garter stitch. In the round. Ten rows and 16 rows respectively. Gah. Is there any reason why these can't be knit flat and then joined once the real knitting in the round commences?
Thank you, Marina. Not a lie, but you could have told me it was just a few rows! I thought the whole - in the immortal spelling of Olde English - damme thing was going to be garter stitch! Thank goodness for Knit Knot's picture of her Mary Tudor. [fans self] Oh, my nerves.
I'd show you a picture of the four measly rows I managed to knit yesterday - all day yesterday - but I left my camera behind.
So. Guess what I started knitting? ;)

5 Comments:
YIKES!!! I don't even want to think about that, Good luck!
I'm afraid I can't tell a lie ;-) But it makes such a pretty hem. Just wait till you get to the front bands and collar. I think I dislike knitting (garter stitch) on the wrong/private side with multiple colours more.
"Is there any reason why these can't be knit flat and then joined once the real knitting in the round commences"
None at all!
I said "hem"! Everyone knows a "hem" usually consists of a few rows ;-)
Oh, okay. Pass, Marina. You did say hem. I was overwrought. Forgive me.
Argh. If only I did do it flat first. Now I've got four more purled rows to go.
Yet another reason I decided to make mine a pullover! No Button Bands.
The purl rows weren't that bad on the hem. I just took a deep breath and took it one stitch at a time.
Post a Comment
<< Home