To Join follow the link at the most recent post below to the Tudor Roses KAL at Yahoo Groups

Sunday, August 27, 2006

Tudor Reading

Someone, (Jewel maybe?) asked if I could re-list a bunch of the Tudor era books.
the post I originally wrote was from May 14, and shows several.
I've since read Legacy by Susan Kay again, and two of the Robin Maxwell books, and sent them on to Sherry. I'm currently listening to Elizabeth and Mary, Cousins, Rivals and Queens, by Jane Dunn. Thankfully I have a pretty solid background on the history of the two women, or I would be so twisted around in the timelines and people that I'd have given up long ago. I'm roughly 12 hours into a 20 hour audible book, and have taken a break from it again. If you know a lot about Tudor history I'd say its a well researched and well reasoned book. If you don't have the background already, I'd advise against reading this one unless you can get out the spreadsheet charts and timelines and take notes.
(Right now I'm listening to French Leutenants Woman by John Fowles. It's been a long time and I'm really liking it. I decided to read that as prelude to reading Time Travellers Wife again for knit the classics - I digress)
I also listened to Dissolution by CJ Sansome, which was about Cromwell disolving the monasteries in good old Henry VIII's time, and they set a murder mystery amid the monks in the monastery. Good read. I listened to that just before going to Stitches in Chicago a couple of weeks ago. I'm telling you, I'm listening to way more books than reading lately, since I can't read and knit at same time, but I love listening and knitting.
Carrie and Stephanie, you are our resident bibliophiles, help us out with some titles please?
oh, I have Carries book on the Dudley clan, the Uncrowned Kings, which I'm going to read then forward on to Stephanie.
I like Margaret George as a historical fictional biographer, and she 's done books on both Henry VIII and Mary, Queen of Scots.

3 Comments:

Blogger DeeAnn said...

I skipped the Jane Dunn book after your comment, I don't need to be more confused yet - I can save that to later. I picked up Elizabeth I, Ruler and Legend by Clark Hulse but I don't really have much time for reading either so I haven't made it far. I'm trying to find audio, I drive 3 hours a day so audio would be perfect but so far I'm challenged in the library search engine. I will try your suggestions, Thanks Marji

8:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Marji,
am almost done w/ legacy,
then will forward it on.
I plan to read the rest of the books on your list, tho may try to find some audio.. will email you about where to go for them.
(amazon, i am sure)
thanks.

4:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you Marji, That was me who asked for the list of books. I haven't been around much as I was off all summer enjoying the KAL and now am back to work and can barely keep my eyes open at night to knit or read (I'm a teacher). I also have let Anne of Cleeves go as I didn't like the yarn & still haven't chosen a suitable yarn for her. I hope that will be soon. Thanks again!

8:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home