To Join follow the link at the most recent post below to the Tudor Roses KAL at Yahoo Groups

Sunday, August 20, 2006

The Demise of Henry VIII

I've debated all weekend how I was going to write this or even if I should. As you recall, my last post showed I was starting the sleeves on Hank. I checked my gauge when I started Hank about a year ago, however, for some unknown reason I didn't pay close attention to my gauge when I picked him up again. I have no clue where my common sense was let alone my brain. I was so captured by paying close attention to the charts and watching the design magically appear before me. The size of Hank probably would have fit Henry VIII himself. It was large. Humongous Hank.

Really upset with myself I put him aside (in a clear plastic box with a tight-fitting lid) and decided to think about what I should do. I had already cut the steeks and was picking up the sleeve stitches. I consulted my fellow knit buddies and decided I was going to frog Hank. After all, it's about the process and the end result, right? There was no way I could ever look at Hank again knowing he wasn't done correctly. I spent a lot of $ on the yarn and it was going to be done right!

The following day after work I decided my decision was the right one but I wasn't in the mood for frogging. I took Hank's charts and was going to put it in with the yarn and unfinished sweater. I should have immediately suspected something was wrong when I noticed the lid wasn't on. When I picked up the box it didn't take long for me to realize that Poppy, our male cat, had decided that the half-off lid was an invitation for him to use the box as a litter box. Hank was the recipient of Poppy's business and did it smell! Cat pee is one of the things that immediately makes me want to lose my lunch. I put Hank outside and sat in my chair and cried. And cried. And cried.

Again, my knit buddies were a source of support. This weekend I tried several techniques and products to try to get the smell out. It may be somewhat better, but it has felted in some places. I may continue to felt Hank all the way and use him for something - what, I don't know - or I may just throw him out. It's difficut to spend so much time and money on something and then have it end like this. I learned several things: check your gauge again and again and even if you think you're right-on-the-money - check your gauge again! Also, I learned that the projects I knit not only have a lot of money invested, but emotion as well. I am surprised how the demise of Hank affected me.

Next time you sit down to knit, do me a favor - check your gauge and protect your projects!

4 Comments:

Blogger Seahorse said...

Oh Jewel, how absolutely heartbreaking. I really feel for you. Could you make the remains into a felted cushion cover or bag? I know it would be poor compensation really but at least all those hours and hours of work and love would result in something nice.

I'm so sorry this has happened!

2:54 AM  
Blogger Marji said...

Ditto what Claire said, it's heartbreaking, even just to read it. I'm sick for you.

10:01 AM  
Blogger DeeAnn said...

I had to come back to this one Jewel, I so stunned I didn't know what to say. Huge HUGE hugs to you, I feel for you truly. wow, I'm so sorry.

9:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh, Jewel,
so soo sorry, my heart truly is bleedingfor you. Hopefully you can just put this hurdle aside and start something new and fresh. Tho i totally understand re the money on the yarn. many virtual hugs to you.

7:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home