To Join follow the link at the most recent post below to the Tudor Roses KAL at Yahoo Groups

Monday, August 07, 2006

Hello!

Hello, I'm new - just joined this knitalong. I've been dreaming of Elizabeth I for awhile now and finally found a lovely deep red merino (recycled from a huge ribbed pullover by Banana Republic. Yup, I'm one of those wacky yarn recyclers.) that knit to gauge beautifully and that I think will be lovely for this sweater.



I'm partway up a sleeve now. I like starting with sleeves 'cause if my gauge turns out to be off, I can think of the sleeve as a big swatch and a way to get acquainted with a pattern. And frog it without tears. That's the philosophy anyway.

I do have a question for you Elizabeth I knitters -- in the center stitch of the sleeve dart it says to work through the back loop on every row. So I'm working the back loop on knit rows AND purl rows, yes? That's what I'm doing, I just don't see much visual evidence of much difference from the rest of the sweater.

I look forward to seeing everyone's projects progress! What fun to have found you!

Margo
http://www.xanga.com/beanmama

Editing to add photo of my sleeve thus far!

5 Comments:

Blogger Carrie K said...

Sad to say, I haven't gotten that far yet. Knitting into the back of a purl stitch is a pain.

Welcome to the Tudor Roses KAL, Beanmama!

9:44 PM  
Blogger Seahorse said...

Welcome to the KAL!

I worked through the back loop on both K and P rows. I'm no expert though, so I can't say for certain that it was the right interpretation!

8:07 AM  
Blogger Marji said...

Margo, I wish I could help, but I'm not there either. I do know that Alice's instructions are usually written very well, so I would just do what it says and trust that it will turn out as it's supposed to.

11:27 AM  
Blogger BeanMama said...

It seems to be fine -- I don't think it's supposed to be an obvious thing. It just keeps a tiny bend in the fabric so that the sleeve falls correctly for the bell curve to look right when you're wearing it. Tres clever!

4:47 PM  
Blogger Marji said...

Margo, now that I'm actually knitting this I feel I can answer the question. I'm knitting the front darts with the single stitch between the two decreases, and that single stitch is knit through the back loop both knitwise and purlwise. She is v clear in instructions for front/back that this is how to do it. Maybe she thinks that if you are knitting sleeves after f/b that you would already be accustomed to the stitch. Anyway, it really does give a nice extra tightness to that stitch. I'm liking it.
I knew your pic was of a sleeve the first time I read your post, but forgot, and everytime since that I've logged in here, I've thought "hmmmm, that is a long long curve from hip to waist"

6:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home