To Join follow the link at the most recent post below to the Tudor Roses KAL at Yahoo Groups

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Hello there!

Wow, what a wonderful group of projects! Everyone's works in progress and yarn samples and swatches and chatter are great, glad I could join you :)

I'll actually be working on both Catherine Parr, which I am currently swatching for and having some technical difficulties I need to work out, and Anne Boleyn, which I am currently selecting colors for and will start as soon as I put buttons on my wip fair isle. The yarn for CP is a really deep blue with heathery blue-greens, reds and golds - doesn't look much like this picture at all! I scanned a swatch on my blog that does the color better justice.


Anyone have any advice on wonky left cross stitches? As you can see from the pile I have swatched close to a hundred yards on several different needles even using different techniques, and I still keep getting these wonky baggy stitches on the left crosses. Aren't they awful? I tried with and without cable needles, increasing tension, decreasing tension, holding onto that loop for dear life and crossing ever so very gently, etc. I am at a loss so I'm out seeking wisdom at the feet of the knitting sages. Or anyone else for that matter :)

DeeAnn
http://feelingtangerine.blogspot.com/

6 Comments:

Blogger Seahorse said...

Hello DeeAnn :) I'm not a knitting sage, so can't advise re the wonky stitches, other than to say they don't actually look that bad to me!

I had a quick look at your blog and I love your Rosemarkie! It's on my (very long) 'to do' list.

7:57 AM  
Blogger Marji said...

I wish I knew what to tell you.
I suppose you have tried pulling both directions to even it out? Pulling hard? Have you blocked any of your swatches? After getting all bent out of shape trying to make sure that stitches all looked perfect in some earlier garments, I found out that blocking evens out so much when dealing with wool. Cotton, not so much ;(
Love the color. What yarn is it?

10:34 AM  
Blogger DeeAnn said...

Seahorse - Thanks for the feedback on it not looking so bad, I'm sure it will improve over the course of the sweater and not be so glaring when my nose is no longer 8 inches from it :) Rosemarkie is a wonderful rhythmic knit, I recommend it to anyone, you make the colors anything you want and it just feels good to knit it. I'm glad I chose it for my first fair isle.

7:27 PM  
Blogger DeeAnn said...

Marji - Yeah, the pictures are of a blocked swatch, I tried that too. I've received a lot of good advice that I will be working on and I figure I will start with the back :)
The yarn is Heirloom 8ply Heatherwood new wool. It is great for cables and the texture knits. I've used their other yarns and they are really nice to work with. Not expensive either - bonus!

7:31 PM  
Blogger Marji said...

HI DeeAnn,
I saw on the KBTH list that you've rec'd lots of suggestions on what to do with that left leaning stitch (send it to a Republican Convention maybe - sorry ;)
I'd be curious to see what was suggested and what works.

3:22 PM  
Blogger DeeAnn said...

LOL, I'm liking the convention idea :) I will be doing a swatch marathon with those suggestions this weekend. I'll post a summary of suggestions and results on my blog if anyone is interested.

8:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home