Elizabeth I: I'm thinking about zephyr.
Hi all.
I've been thinking of making Elizabeth I for a while, and this is the perfect excuse. So the recommended yarn is 1545 ypp, and a friend of mine suggested a silk/wool blend, and I think she's right--the smooth look and the drape would be just right. I like Silky Wool, but I worry it's too heavy and I'd also like a very smooth worsted yarn to show off the cables and wear well. So now I'm thinking maybe Jaggerspun Zephyr. The 4/8 DK weight is too thick at 1120 ypp. I'm thinking about holding three strands of the 2/18 together, which, if I'm doing my math right, comes out right around 1600 ypp (5040/3). There's also this silk/wool blend, but it only comes undyed, and I want a very sleek, uniform look to this, and I don't think my home dyeing skills are up to that. Any other ideas for a worsted-spun silk/wool blend that might be the right weight?
I've never made a project as big as a sweater wtih multiple strands held together throughout. Is it going to drive me crazy? Will it affect the look of the garment? I'll swatch, for sure, but I'd love feedback on the idea.
Thanks!
Cate
http://mamacate.typepad.com
I've been thinking of making Elizabeth I for a while, and this is the perfect excuse. So the recommended yarn is 1545 ypp, and a friend of mine suggested a silk/wool blend, and I think she's right--the smooth look and the drape would be just right. I like Silky Wool, but I worry it's too heavy and I'd also like a very smooth worsted yarn to show off the cables and wear well. So now I'm thinking maybe Jaggerspun Zephyr. The 4/8 DK weight is too thick at 1120 ypp. I'm thinking about holding three strands of the 2/18 together, which, if I'm doing my math right, comes out right around 1600 ypp (5040/3). There's also this silk/wool blend, but it only comes undyed, and I want a very sleek, uniform look to this, and I don't think my home dyeing skills are up to that. Any other ideas for a worsted-spun silk/wool blend that might be the right weight?
I've never made a project as big as a sweater wtih multiple strands held together throughout. Is it going to drive me crazy? Will it affect the look of the garment? I'll swatch, for sure, but I'd love feedback on the idea.
Thanks!
Cate
http://mamacate.typepad.com

4 Comments:
Hmm - you've set me a challenge here. I love to research yarn. :) Silky Wool is very lightweight but if you want smooth it won't work for you. I think holding several strands together is just going to give you a headache and may defeat the smooth look as well. So - I'm off to do some reseach & I will post again if I find anything...
I routinely knit with more than one strand, and have done several sweaters that way, and never have much of an issue with it, save the inevitable tangleing of skeins. I just knit an Els Lavold top carrying two strands of Rowanspun 4 ply and you can't even tell it's not a single strand of yarn.
However, Have you ever looked at Lisa Souza's yarns? She'll dye any of the Henry's Attic yarns in addition to what is in her normal inventory. I've been lusting (seriously lusting) after some of her yarn since I first saw it.
check it out here
http://www.lisaknit.com/site/yarn.html
Elann has Baby Silk - would this work?
http://secure.elann.com/productdisp.asp?NAME=Peruvian+Collection+Baby+Silk&Season=&Company=&Cat=&ProductType=5&OrderBy=&Count=3
This is really good advice. I thought of using a hand-dyer like Lisa (her BFL rovings make my heart get all fluttery--love her work!), but I'm concerned that I won't get the uniformity of color that I'm hoping for. Even the best hand-dyer with a home studio is not going to have professional equipment, plus, I believe that most commerically produced solid color yarns are dyed in the wool, then spun. I think whenever you dye after spinning, you get some variation. Maybe I could decide that some variation is okay. We'll see. I've asked on the DyersList about finding someone to do really professional-quality small-batch dyeing.
Thanks for the elann idea--I got all excited, but it's alpaca, not wool, and I'm worried it would be too drapey. Not to mention hot. Bummer, though, yarn from elann would be kind on the pocketbook!
I'd love to hear more experiences with holding multiple strands together, especially when cables are involved. I don't think you'll be able to see it in the finished garment, but man, I can see trying to cable with three strands of yarn. Eep. And keep those yarn suggestions coming!
Thanks!
Post a Comment
<< Home