To Join follow the link at the most recent post below to the Tudor Roses KAL at Yahoo Groups

Saturday, May 06, 2006

Possible books to read for our knitting pleasure

Marji and I had discussed rereading Elizabeth, but I purchased The Virgin's Lover by Phillipa Gregory. I think it might be interesting to read about that timeframe while doing the TR KAL. The name and influence of the sweater would mean more. Just a shot.

Any else out there interested?

Here's the review
From Publishers WeeklyBestseller Gregory captivates again with this expertly crafted historical about the beautiful young Virgin Queen, portrayed as a narcissistic, neurotic home-wrecker. As in her previous novels about Tudor England (The Queen's Fool, etc.), Gregory amasses a wealth of colorful period detail to depict the shaky first days of Elizabeth I's reign. The year is 1558, an especially dangerous time for the nation: no bishop will coronate Henry VIII's Protestant daughter, the treasury is bankrupt, the army is unpaid and demoralized. Meanwhile, the French are occupying Scotland and threatening to install "that woman"—Mary, Queen of Scots—on the throne. Ignoring the matrimonial advice of pragmatic Secretary of State William Cecil, the 25-year-old Elizabeth persists in stringing along Europe's most eligible bachelors, including King Philip of Spain and the Hapsburg archduke Ferdinand. It's no secret why: she's fallen for her "dark, saturnine" master of horse, Sir Robert Dudley, whose traitorous family history and marriage to the privately Catholic Amy make him an unsuitable consort. Gregory deftly depicts this love triangle as both larger than life and all too familiar; all three characters are sympathetic without being likable, particularly the arch-mistress Elizabeth, who pouts, throws tantrums, connives and betrays with queenly impunity. After a while the plot stagnates, as the lovers flaunt their emotions in the face of repetitious arguments from Amy, Cecil and various other scandalized members of the court. But readers addicted to Gregory's intelligent, well-researched tales of intrigue and romance will be enthralled, right down to the teasingly tragic ending. Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved. --This text refers to the Hardcover edition.

8 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

I've got it too but haven't read it yet. I was lucky enough to get a signed copy from the author when she made an appearance at the local bookstore. I've read two of her other books so I would be up for reading this one!

12:06 AM  
Blogger Carrie K said...

That looks like a good choice since I'm doing Eliz I. I'm also planning on reading the Uncrowned Kings of England by Derek Wilson (among others).

12:24 AM  
Blogger sherry said...

One of the favorit times in history I absolutely LOVE to read about is that time, about elizabeth, mary and Henry tudor.
I have read a few books,but want to read this one too. thanks for posting a report.

5:51 AM  
Blogger knittinbrit_in_wi said...

I'm just not patient enough. I couldn't wait until the 22nd to start reading this one. I picked it up from the nightstand to take a glance and 40 pages later I was hooked. I'm trying to keep busy with swatching so I won't finish it before we start the KAL. Fortunately she has written other books from this time period.

10:22 PM  
Blogger Carrie K said...

I found a book of Elizabethan fiction I picked up somewhere (Ohio, I think) that I haven't read yet either.

2:34 PM  
Blogger Marji said...

i am on vacay now, at the beach house of a friend, but when I get home I will post a list (w/ pics) of the reading I have of the Tudor era, and will happily lend to anyone who requests one, a book.
I have books on the Mary's, several on Eliz, I have the "Autobiography of Henry VIII" which of course is not autobiography but a novel - I believe by Margaret George...can't remember. Anyway, there is a wealth of reading out there and I think if you are so inclined, it will really enhance the meaning of the project to read about the Tudors alongside of knitting a sweater.

4:07 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

I double majored in college - Art History and British History. I focused on British art and Royal history with an emphasis on the Wars of the Roses to the end of the Tudor era and then skipping to Victorian through the modern period. So if anyone wants a book recommendation I'd be happy to give one - my shelves are chock full! I've read two of Gregory's other books The Other Boylen Girl and The Queen's Fool & both were good. Can you tell I'm a bit of an Anglophile? :)

Still nothing from Virtual Yarns.... :(

11:12 PM  
Blogger Carrie K said...

Bad Virtual Yarns. Think maybe it's time to go elsewhere?

I've got a ......lot of English history fiction and non fiction.

6:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home