To Join follow the link at the most recent post below to the Tudor Roses KAL at Yahoo Groups

Thursday, December 21, 2006

Eliz I riding back over shoulders

< snip >Hi
I finished Elizabeth I in Brown Sheep sport, color French Clay, a few weeks ago. But I don't like how it hangs. As I wear it, the front creeps up and the back sags down, until it looks like I've got an extra pair of boobs under my shoulder blades. Yuck!

I'm going to take the neckband off. But I can't decide whether to reknit the band picking up fewer stitches across the back than the front or take the back apart and remake the back so that it goes further up my neck which means reshaping the sleeves to accommodate the increased back.

Rats. Is anyone else having this problem or am I just a funny shaped human?

Eva

< snip >
< snip I wore Eliz I again yesterday to see if wearing it the other way round was better. What I noticed is, that as the day wears on, the neckline stretches and it's already pretty large. I'm going to reknit the neck using fewer stitches and then face it with ribbon. We'll see if that fixes it.

Eva

< snip >

I'm sorry Eva, I've been giving this problem some thought from a clothing construction point of view, but haven't responded here.
I'm trying to figure out why a garment would ride back. Usually if something rides up, it's because it's trying to find more room. But it makes no sense in terms of riding back over your shoulders.
Does the armhole fit ok? Do you have any pics of yourself in it? I'm not certain that just tightening a neckline will fix the problem - might, might not. If you have any pics it might help to see how it fits you.

Does anyone else have any ideas?

2 Comments:

Blogger May said...

Eva, do you have a photo or two of the garment on you? That would be helpful for me to understand your concern better, I think. I've read and heard from others who tried Elizabeth I, that the neck opening is large. Maybe, you are already working on re-knitting as I write.

I could be quite off, but Eliz I is basically a boatneck, right? I had a few boatneck tops and they tend to slip off of my shoulders. Whenever I wore one, I found myself always fussing with it, unless it is a tight fitting one. So, would a little bra holding device at the shoulder seams be helpful? I am thinking that the bra might fix the riding issue.

Good luck!!

10:43 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

I've made Eliz out of Starmore's new(ish) yarn, and mine hangs oddly, too - what happens for me is that the whole neckline doesn't seem to hold the sweater up well enough. I have worn it a couple of times in public, but I have it on the "to do" pile, to re-work the neckline. It should be a pretty easy fix, I hope; just reknit that band on smaller needles and probably run a ribbon or thread through the very top so it doesn't sag. Which at the moment it does. Pooh.

At the moment when I wear it, I wear a camisole thing and safety pin the straps to the inside of the sweater. So at least the sweater doesn't become an unintentional off the shoulder thing.

good luck!

1:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home